Tell Brak

Tell Brak
Site of archeological site in Northern Syria

Thursday 15 April 2010

They Came to Baghdad

Well, this project isn't off to a very good start. I've had a visitor over from England and that's consumed my spare time, plus work has become particularly busy. All of this means that I haven't had much time to ponder and begin the process of planning the future research and ultimate expedition. I'm at the stage where my first wave of excitement has died down and the whole thing seems to be preposterous and, worse, probably already been done by someone with better writing skills.

In the meantime, I have borrowed two of Mrs Mallowan's novels which are connected with her love of the Middle East and archeology. 'They Came to Baghdad' was published in 1951 and 'Murder in Mesopotamia', which was published in 1936. Looking at those dates, there's some significance as the latter was published before her ventures to Syria and Chagar Bazar, while the former was published over a decade later. I haven't heard of either of these novels and shall read them from a different perspective, not just whodunnit. It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment