Tell Brak

Tell Brak
Site of archeological site in Northern Syria

Thursday 8 July 2010

Agatha Christie

Back at the Norfolk and Norwich Millenium Library to write this after a satisfactory shopping trip. Searching the Oxfam second-hand bookshop, I found Janet Morgan's biography Agatha Christie: A Biography (it does what it says on the cover)written in 1984. There were also several copies of Ms Christie's novels, including one of Death in the Clouds, but I decided to restrict my purchases bearing in mind that I'm transporting a week's worth of clothing and shopping on my bike tomorrow. What a find! I celebrated by buying a lemonade and bun in the cafe of one of the few family-owned department stores left in Britain.

I started to read the biography and was pleased to see that Janet Morgan was the 'official' biographer and had access to all of Ms Christie's personal papers and to friends and family. I hadn't realised how much she protected her personal life from outsiders, although I should have guessed. I wonder if she would have resented this personal quest of mine, but I hope not. I'm also feeling extremely out of my depth, as Ms Morgan has a very good pedigree for writing biographies while I have nothing at all, except writing blogs and sharing a fascination with the Arab world. This whole thing seems beyond my means and ability at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment